Vice President Education and Welfare
Hello everyone, I’m Lauren O’Shea, your newly elected Vice President Education and Welfare.
I studied Performing Arts (Film, TV & Stage) which taught me a lot about the industry and myself during my time on the course. At the start of my second year, I made the conscious decision to get involved with the Students’ Union for more than just a night at SOAP. This is where I found myself growing and over the three years, I’ve pushed myself to gain more than just a degree. I’ve received my Platinum Award for volunteering, was elected for the role of Treasurer for BNU Dance Club 2016/17 – this happened to be their most successful year to date. One of my greatest achievements was starting the Bucks’ very first Irish Dance team, teaching students from both the High Wycombe and Uxbridge campus and winning 4 trophies along the way. In my final year at Bucks, I was a Freshers’ Helper, I truly enjoyed welcoming all of our new students and made many friends in the process.
As your VPEW, I am responsible for the academic experience of every student at Bucks, no matter where or how you study. I sit on panels with the university representing you, to make sure the student voice is heard. I will also maintain campaigns for welfare matters, such as the strong Mental Health Awareness that has thrived over previous years. I will be working with the Advice Centre to campaign on issues that are important to you, to help maximise your student experience.
- Find ways using SU resources to improve student retention
- Work closely with the local community to promote student friendly part-time jobs
- Improve students’ knowledge of student housing, encouraging a healthy living environment
- Explore opportunities to include placements on more courses
- Rally for more courses to use each other’s resources to form modules together
- Campaign on Mental Health, Disability and Sexual Harassment/Abuse Awareness