SSHH Bus Driver
£12.50 per hour (including holiday pay)
Fixed term - 18/09/21 until 04/06/22
Hours: 9:30pm on Wednesdays until close and any other hours as required. Minimum 5 hours per week.
Main purpose of the job
Bucks Students’ Union operates a twice weekly bus service between the main High Wycombe Campuses for students and the University. The role will involve picking students up from Brook Street and Hughenden and shuttling them to the University on a Wednesday and Friday night/early morning.
Responsible to: Student Activities Manager and through them, Membership Services Manager.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To ensure that speed limits are observed.
- To check the condition of the vehicle prior to commencing service by:
- carrying out the safety walk round check
- ensuring that any defect in the vehicle or equipment is reported as soon as possible to the right person
- ensuring the vehicle is clean and tidy before starting service.
- To comply with the laws and regulations regarding the use of mobile phones, smoking in company vehicles and the use of prohibited equipment whilst on duty.
- To be responsible for the health, safety, security, welfare, environmental and fire safety arrangements for yourself and passengers.
- To ensure that the bus is kept in a safe and tidy condition at all times.
- To provide a high standard of customer service at all times.
- To always behave in a friendly and professional way to customers and colleagues.
- To drive the vehicles in a safe, legal and professional way.
- To pick up students from the agreed points of the route only.
- To report any issues immediately.
- To keep up-to-date with road closures, diversions or special events which may affect the bus service. This is done by reading notices and listening to the on-bus radio (if there is one fitted).
- To take a full and active part in the Union’s environmental initiatives with particular regard to taking personal responsibility for recycling and energy conservation.
- To portray the Students' Union in a positive, proactive and professional manner.
- To abide by Students’ Union policies and procedures at all times, in particular the minibus handbook and safeguarding policy.
- To respect the democratic structure of the Students’ Union. The post holder will be expected to work closely with the elected officers of the Students’ Union.
E is essential, D is desirable
Education, qualifications and training
Been driving for at least two years E
Be over the age of 21 E
Have a full and clean UK driving licence (including D1 entitlement) without the 101 restriction E
Driver CPC E
Experience of working in a range of environments D
Experience of working in and supporting a team D
Experience of supporting student groups D
Excellent verbal communication skills E
Able to work effectively in a team D
Excellent interpersonal skills E
Diplomacy and tact E
Commitment to equal opportunities E
Able to work in a student-led, democratic environment E
Commitment to high standards of customer care E
Self-reliant with ability to work without close supervision and use own initiative E
Flexible working attitude and ability to adapt to swiftly evolving work conditions E
Be able to prioritise and deliver to strict timescales E
To apply, please complete an application form and equal opportunities monitoring form and send them to email@example.com
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org