We're Number 1


The results are in from the National Student Survey – the comprehensive piece of annual research into students’ perceptions of their university experience – and Bucks Students’ Union is now ranked as the number one Students’ Union*.

The Union has consolidated its sector-leading position with seven consecutive years in the top 5.

Chief Executive Officer of Bucks Students’ Union, Tristan Tipping, said: "We have an inspiring team who are committed to our values and seemingly have unlimited reserves of creativity and passion. I’m thrilled and extremely thankful that the team's dynamism and tenacity is recognised by our members. We’ve got a big year ahead of us and some exciting plans and this has given everyone the motivation to push ourselves a little harder and continue moving forward. Our partnership with the University has never been so strong and we have every reason to believe we can keep growing and improving together."

With a change in the response mechanism this year, removing a ‘neutral’ option, the students' union sector has seen a significant positive bump in performance with the average satisfaction for students' unions rising 15.80% from 56.09% (2021-22) to 71.89% (2022-23). However, Bucks Students’ Union has risen still further, 16.38% in total, from 69.87% (2021-22) to 86.25% (2022-23).  

The 2022-23 academic year has not been without its challenges but our sector-leading work around the cost-of-living crisis in collaboration with Buckinghamshire New University, and the growth in participation and engagement across the breadth of our services, not least the unique Big Deal programme, has been recognised and valued by our members – which is the greatest accolade for our collective endeavours.

Vice-Chancellor of Bucks New University (BNU), Professor Nick Braisby, said: "We are delighted that Bucks Students’ Union is rightly restored to its position as 1st* in the UK for representing student academic interests. BNU is proud to provide significant funding to support the SU’s excellent work as we work in partnership to give students the best possible experience which, this year, has included an award-winning response to the cost of living crisis."

Now sitting proudly in first place in a league table of students’ unions at non-specialist UK universities for taught students, the Union also now ranks an all-time high of fourth in the table which includes students registered for BNU degrees taught at our partner colleges.

President of Bucks Students’ Union, Brandon Tester, said: "It’s such an incredible achievement which comes off the back of years of hard work and I’m proud to be part of an organisation that is constantly evolving and striving to do better for its members every single day. I’m delighted to see the University do so well this year as well, It’s such a great place to work and I’m so excited for the next 12 months."

*as ranked among taught students at non-specialist HEIs