You deserve to be safe. Anywhere, anytime. We fully support the campaign that is spreading across student communities and believe you should always be safe on a night out – no matter where that is. Drink spiking is something we take very seriously and we want everyone using our venues and services to have a safe and enjoyable time.
As your Students’ Union, our bar and events team are fully trained to support you when you’re in @theVenue no matter what might be going on. The Venue is currently 100% accredited and Platinum in Best Bar None awards which is a national recognition of our work towards customer safety.
In specific response to drink spiking, our venue already does the following:
- Has full CCTV Coverage of our events
- Runs specific staff training on drink spiking , duty of care and vulnerability awareness.
- Offers safe spaces for people to wait if they are feeling unwell.
- Has Spikys available at the bars.
- Maintains a Search policy enabling searches on entry.
- Maintains a trained team of security staff from a broad background.
- Has signage and systems in place to raise awareness of spiking
In response to the national concerns we will run further drink spiking campaigns and add additional points and training in daily staff briefings. Whatever issue you might be facing on a night out, you can talk to any member of our team who are there to help you, and most importantly make sure you’re safe.
We fully support your choice to stay in on Wednesday 27 October but believe that everyone should be able to have a safe and fun night out. We’re working with Shannon Rigg, your newly elected Women’s Executive Officer, to bring you ‘Girls Night Out’. A safe event for women, by women, staffed entirely by women from your University community.