Registering with a local GP

If you have moved to study at Bucks it is really important to register with a local doctor. You will still be able to see your family doctor as a ‘visitor’ when at home during vacations.

Registration with a local doctor is essential if you are to receive treatment for an illness or other medical condition, either by attending the surgery or receiving a visit in an emergency. It is easy to put this off, but if you need advice or treatment in the future, it is much easier if you are already registered and can save you stress and valuable time.

Also if an illness prevents you from handing in an assignment or attending an exam you may well need a letter or ‘sick note’ from a doctor, and if you are not registered with one you won’t be able to get a note.

To register with a doctor go to to find the nearest GP surgery to you. You can then go to the website of the GP surgery you chose and find the information about how to register with them.

You can also find information about local opticians, dentists and pharmacies at

NHS 111

111 is the NHS nonemergency number. It’s fast, easy and free. Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency.