Want to represent the student body to the University? Then you should consider applying to be the student member on the University Council. The University Council is BNU’s governing body, responsible for the educational character and mission of the University as well as overseeing the rules and procedures that underpin how they are governed. Council is made up of individuals with experience and skills across a broad range of professions, business and industry.
Each year a current student is also appointed to sit on Council alongside the President of the Students’ Union. This is an exciting opportunity for a student to gain experience of governance and to ensure the student experience is central to Council’s thinking.
The University and Council encourage, support and value diversity and welcome expressions of interest from any currently registered students studying directly with the University. Applications from part-time, post-graduate, mature or BAME students would be particularly welcome.
The co-opted student member’s term runs from 1 August 2022 to 31 July 2023. The experience and skills desired for the role include:
- a broad understanding of the whole University community and demonstrable support for the ethos and mission of the University
- a strong interest in the BNU student experience and more generally in the education sector and the role education plays in transforming lives
- good interpersonal skills – being confident to express views on behalf of the student body in a concise, fair and measured way
- committed to working as part of a team with other Council members and senior staff of the University
- able to think strategically, understand and engage with issues quickly, debate and contribute to discussions pro-actively and challenge rigorously
- able to devote time to preparing for and attending Council and sub-committee meetings – normally 10 meetings per year of approximately three hours plus one Away Day with an overnight stay. Additional hours may be required for pre-reading Council papers.
- act as Ambassadors for the University
Full support, training and guidance to support this role will be provided by the University Secretary’s Office. You can find more information about Council on the Council webpages. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
To express interest in the role, please complete this form by Friday 27 May 2022. All forms will be kept private and confidential to the shortlisting and interview panel. The Students’ Union and University Secretary’s Office will shortlist candidates and short selection interviews will be held via Microsoft Teams in the week commencing 6 June.