I am a second year Law student and I ran for Green Ambassador because I would like to bring a new life to the university with fresh new ideas! My main mission while being Green Ambassador this academic year is to help the University in becoming more sustainable and be more conscious of the environment, I plan on making a big impact within this role this year.
I plan to make quite a few changes to the university in terms of sustainability, including working closely with the Green society to ensure we all can achieve the same goal - make Bucks green! I want to work with Green society and all other clubs and societies to support sustainability campaigns.
Last year saw the start of a new society, Green Society who have been working closely with the Students' Union to create a more environmentally friendly campus by making small changes where we can and had an incredible impact in their first year.
- Understanding what happens to the decorations at events like Fresher ball and Halloween. Are the reused year on year or disposed of?
- Understanding what happens to the plastic cups on a night out in The Venue.
- Seeing about the possibility of swapping out the plastic cups at the water machines to easily recylable paper cones.
- Labelling all the bins in the cafes more clearly. This could be a way of stopping items going into the wrong bin and ending up in landfill.
- Supporting Darren (Green ambassador 2019-20) on the ongoing Paper Campaign.
- Setting up a donation point for beauty projects.
Update March 2020:
All bins the the campus cafes are colour coded and have new labels on them which clearly show what items belong in each bin.
Donation points for unused beauty and personal hygiene products have been set up as a part of our collaborative project 'Give to Refresh'